Sunday, March 09, 2008

Resurfacing

Gosh, it's been a while. School, um, got a little busy, and I neglected the blog (and many other things). On the plus side, I did get a lot of work done while I was gone!

Baby Surprise Jacket - FO [picnik edit]

I also got some knitting done in the meanwhile. An online friend of mine had a baby girl two weeks ago, and I made Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket for the little one. I looooove it, and I don't even like pink all that much! The pattern, the yarn, the buttons, everything is just perfect.

Notes on the project:
This is an Elizabeth Zimmerman (EZ) pattern, probably her most famous pattern - at least as far as I know. The construction is absolutely ingenious; I keep on wondering how on earth she came up with something so nifty. Anyway, you can find the pattern in The Opinionated Knitter, or as a single pattern at your local yarn store.

Yarn: Mirasol Hacho, 4 skeins (548 yards)
Needles: Size 5, 24"
Notions: 5 buttons

I followed the pattern, with some minor exceptions:
  • I only put buttonholes on the right side since I know this is for a girl.
  • I made sure I picked up all of my stitches with what I decided was the “right” side facing me
  • I did an applied i-cord edging for the body of the sweater.
  • I added a hood usingthe directions for the hood on EZ’s Tomten Jacket from The Opinionated Knitter.
  • I added a single crochet border to the hood.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Yay, you're back!! The baby surprise sweater looks soooo cute, I can't wait to see your finished adult version as well.