Sunday, November 11, 2007

BWOF 10-2007-115

I'm still planning on making the BWOF dress I mentioned in my last post (BWOF 09-2007-117), but I decided to get my feet wet with some other patterns first. This jersey top from the 10-2007 issue of BWOF seemed like the perfect pattern to start with. It turned out really well!

I did a little research on what to use for tracing paper. There are lots of different options out there. Ideally I would have liked tracing material that could be sewn, for test fitting purposes. But ultimately I ended up going with the cheapest and most easily accessible option: wax paper. It's mostly transparent and permanent marker doesn't leak through it, so it's great for tracing. Plus it's super cheap and easy to find at most stores, so . . . I figure once I'm out of school and have a real job, I can buy the more expensive stuff :p

Anyway, tracing was a lot easier than I anticipated. I actually liked it so much I think I'm going to start tracing all of my patterns, not just the BWOF ones. It makes so much more sense to be able to keep intact patterns in case you shrink or grow in size - after all, it happens all the time!

Some comments on the pattern:

Pattern Description: This jersey top is easy to make, very versatile and looks great! Fine tucks on the plunging v-neckline add a witty detail.

Pattern Sizing: 38-46 (European sizing). I graded the pattern down to a 34.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yep!

Were the instructions easy to follow? This is a pretty easy pattern. The instructions for creating the gathers in the front can be a little confusing. I used the great pictures Christina posted on her review as a guide. Apart from the instructions for the front piece, I actually didn't look the rest of the instructions.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's a very simple and quick pattern with elegant results.

Fabric Used: Wonderful (and inexpensive!) jersey remnant I picked up at Sew-Lo fabrics. I would guess it's a polyester/rayon/spandex blend. It's so soft - it feels like a thin suede.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
- Graded the pattern down to a size 34. I was really nervous about how this would turn out; I've never graded a pattern before and I couldn't find any instructions online as to how to do it. I was particularly worried that the sleeve cap wouldn't fit properly in the armhole. I found that I got a better fit with the sleeve (no tucks or gathers on the seam line) if I stretched the sleeve as I set it into the armhole, rather than ease stitching and gathering to fit the sleeve cap to the armhole.
- I raised the neckline by an inch. I like a little more coverage, and I wanted to wear this top in casual work settings.
- I raised the waistline by an inch since I'm petite.
- I didn't interface the neckline and armhole edges as the pattern instructed. It didn't seem necessary.
- I did add a seam binding at the shoulders to prevent stretching and added 1/8" elastic just inside the neckline seam allowance so that the top wouldn't gap.
- I don't have a serger, so I hand-stitched an invisible hem instead. I fused a 1" wide strip of fusible knit interfacing on top of the stitching line and then used a catch stitch to hem the sleeves and bottom edge.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I would definitely sew this again and recommend this pattern. It's quick and easy.

Conclusion This was my first BWOF pattern, and my first time grading down a pattern. I'm pleased with the results and rather proud of myself!

I'm going to try to update the blog a little more frequently. I'm in school and have a lot of stuff on my plate, so we'll see how that goes. Once a month may be all I can manage for now.

2 comments:

renee said...

I went to email you about the hair a couple months back, but I didn't have your email address. I had the same problem s you. So, once or twice a week, I do a two-strand twist. First I start with wet hair, moisturize with Pantene for Women of Color and do the twist with Murray's Beeswax. I try to have my hair fairly wet and spritz litely with water when done. Sleep with a scarf and in the a.m. I untwist and seperate some bits. It lasts a good week with tying it at night. HTH.

Stephanie said...

The top looks great on you. I also want to make that dress from the September issue. I plan to use a plaid fabric I have, which is really intimidating me. Can't wait to see yours.